Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Crash- Why Detroit is so Important to America

I saw Crash yesterday. I had heard a lot about it, and then the Oscars were announced morning our time and I made up my mind to go and watch it that very evening. I even garnered the company of Sreefor the same. Everyone else had already seen it, and I in my laziness have missed the luxury of hugely familiar company. First, I had to put up with the customary resistance that women always put up the mono-minute they figure out that they’re your last resort. Otherwise it was quite cool.

The movie began well, but ended up looking so affected and contrived that I almost sniggered in contempt. The entire movie had Ocsar written on it. It looked like this director chose the most sensitive topic in the US of A, picked the city which had the largest number of voters in the Academy in the whole world, and went about it. Of course, there was this completely All-American automobile touch to it. "Why do people Crash into each other?" Ridiculous. Then he decided to make the weaklings in the audience soft with emotion, and went for the jugular.

The audience was even better- some of the really dark moments were heartily laughed at. For instance, when the cop’s dad can’t sleep or pee because of his infection, people around me were actually laughing. What nonsense. I read on Uma’s blog this post on Maxim. I can now understand what kind of an audience caters to that. People have such a misplaced sense of humour. Quite morbid. Then on the way out, everyone had been inflicted with the disease of being nice, and well looked all thoughtful and moved. You could see people shaking their heads in disbelief and nodding at the same time appreciation. Wow!
I am not against "feel-good, do-good" movies, but don't push it down my throat puhleeeseee...

Thankfully, Sree had exactly the same thoughts on the movie as me. It was quite easy afterwards…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home