Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The English Patients

I am not a student of history, albeit I tend to be slightly fascinated by it at times. Whatever little I read in school is now almost subterranean for me. Consequently, I am unable to really figure out why India was colonized by Brits and we left with such a Victorian hangover.

The reason why I mention it now is that over the last year or so, I have stumbled over a treasure trove of European (or Latin American, Iranian etc etc.) cinema. And I have fallen in love many times over, with the brilliance on display. Only if I could understand the languages in which they were made. Being a veteran of DVD movies, I do realize that the sub-titles are never as accurate as the original screenplay. Since my involvement with Hollywood predates any other by at least a couple of decades, I do notice at times that the movies I stumble upon in French, Spanish or Italian have sometimes been re-made in Hollywood and the two are just worlds apart. For instance, whoever has seen Wicker Park and L’ Apartment would know what I am talking about (of course in this instance it helps that Monica Belucci was so much better looking).

Of course not to say that good films are not made in Hollywood. I even don’t think that my all-time favorites will ever be in a language other than English. There are many memorable films which have come out of their studios, I just think that others are a lot more experimental in their approach towards film-making. In many cases they have made me think longer than any Holly production. They don’t have to be wonderful movies, or even hugely memorable. Just interesting and fresh. Amelie, Maria Full of Grace Motorcyle Diaires, Cinema Paradiso, Three Colours, Decalogue, Jeux d’enfants, Two Women and so many others. The best part is that most of these movies don’t even come recommended. I just find them lying around in a neglected corner of my suppliers shop. It is like you just put in a disc, not knowing what to expect and two hours later, you’re a slightly changed person. Even the women are so much better looking. There definately is a culture thing as well- I mean a society in which menage-a-trois is a part of the regular vocabulary has to be more interesting than others. Of course I am sure such unbridled experimentation also leads to some disasters (IK- are you reading???)- and I have been subject to some of them, but on an average I have been lucky.

The same of course is true also of English independent cinema (Before Sunrise/ Sunset), but well that’s the way it is supposed be.

1 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger dazedandconfused said...

Couldn't agree more. Haven't seen all which you mention here, but yes, motorcycle diaries, Cinema Paradiso are great examples. But its not so difficult a choice to pick them up though. Most of these DVDs have these references to the various awards that these movies have won. One can't really go wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home